As Mexico RVing affectionados know, there's been a big problem the past few years with bringing newer US diesel engine vehicles to Mexico. Unlike the US and Canada, who converted their diesel supplies to ultra-low sulphur diesel (ULSD) in 2007, Mexico has STILL yet to convert (although they keep promising that ULSD is coming within the "next few years"). As a result, the US emissions controls on 2007 and newer US diesel vehicles, such as diesel particulate filters (DPF's), get clogged and cause the engine to go into "limp home mode" (i.e. 5 mph max speed) after a few tanks of Mexican LSD fuel.
For RVers wanting to travel to Mexico, this has meant either buying a pre-2007 US diesel vehicle (such as the model year '06 or '07 Winnebago View), or buying a newer RV with a gas engine. But gas engine RV's are usually wider and much less fuel-efficient than the View's "Skinnie Winnie" Mercedes Sprinter chassis-- not a good combination if you wish to drive the gorgeous, narrow roads of Baja or the lush backroads of mainland Mexico.
Fortunately, for '08 and '09 View owners, there's been a great solution to this problem. The Green Diesel Engineering ECU software upgrade addresses the electronic emissions controls as well as the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) while also improving MPG, HP, and Torque. Thanks to these modifications, this '09 Winnebago View has performed flawlessly in Mexico, the US, and Canada.
Now, I've always loved the simplicity of my '07 View and its I5 Mercedes Sprinter engine (no emissions controls to worry about), but I must admit to lusting after Hans & Ursula's '09 View for it's increased cargo & towing capacity, it's roomier dinette, and more powerful V6 engine. If I weren't having to give up RVing myself due to my health issues, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
So, if you're in the market for an exceptionally clean and well-maintained View, here are the pics and full details:
2009 Winnebago View 24J - $63,900
Longmont, CO (northwest of Denver)
- Only 31,400 miles - original owner RV
- Cummins/Onan QD3200 (3.2 kW) Diesel Generator with only 30 hours
- Upgraded factory-painted graphics (no vinyl)
- Stored indoors with like-new gel coat finish
- Exceptionally clean - no smoking, no pets
- Green Diesel Engineering ECU tune for improved MPG, HP, & Torque.
- Newer set of Michelin tires with 12k miles (rated for 70k).
- Borg metal valve stems with gator caps to quickly check tire air pressure
- New pair of 6-volt house batteries for increased DC capacity
- New AGM chassis battery
- Swivel reclining passenger seat (Eurocampers.com)
- New medium-firm custom single-piece foam mattress with Froli Travel Spring set for rear bed home-like comfort
- Ergonomically upgraded dinette seats
- Thermostatic Mixing Control for shower (minimizes water usage)
- Most lights converted to LED bulbs for improved efficiency
- Progressive Dynamics 4655 3-stage 55 amp battery charger
- Upgraded faucets in kitchen & bath
- Custom floor mats
- Removable soft-touch seat covers for driver/passenger seats
- Fancher's windshield sunshade
- Motion-activated security/porch light
- Whole house water filter
- Various electrical adapters; Surge Guard Protector (30 amp)
- Holding tank hoses
- Leveling blocks & ramps
This meticulously kept Class C 2009 Winnebago View 24J Motorhome is the perfect way to make your travel dreams come true. It is the ideal size to comfortably drive through towns and to get into size restricted camping spaces in National and State Park campgrounds, while providing all the creature comforts and amenities you want to have in its well-designed, spacious, and comfortable interior. And, being self-contained you can even go camping in the wilderness in style. Put out the awning and make the outdoors an extension of your living room. For the past 5 years we have been traveling through North America, visiting the Baja peninsula, as well as mainland Mexico and can happily report that the vehicle and all systems performed perfectly - maintenance and tender loving care did pay off, making this a vehicle in perfect condition.
- Year: 2009
- Make: Winnebago
- Model: VIEW 24J
- Class: Class C
- Location: Longmont, CO
- Mileage: 31,400
- Fuel Type: DIESEL
- Engine: 3.0 Liter Mercedes Benz V6 Turbo Diesel with 5 speed automatic transmission
- Sleeping Capacity: 6 (Rear bed; Dinette; Cab-over bed)
- Air Conditioner: Roof-mount, 13,500 BTU ducted
- Furnace: 25,000 BTU ducted
- Slide Outs: 1
- Chassis: Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinter
- Exterior Dimensions: Length 24’6”, Width 90”, Height 10’11”
- Capacities: Fuel 26 GAL, Fresh water 35 GAL
- Holding Tank Capacities: Black 31 GAL, Gray 38 GAL
- LPG (Fillable to 80%): 18 GAL
This Motorhome Offers Adaptive ESP Technology. ESP Senses Vehicle Load & Performance Parameters to Maximize Handling, Control & Driving Stability.
Specifications: 3.0 Liter 6 Cylinder Turbo Diesel Engine, 5-Speed Automatic Transmission, Four-Wheel ABS, Independent Front Suspension, 180 Amp Alternator, 5000lb Trailer Hitch, Ultra Leather Cab Seats With Adjustable Lumbar Support, Swivel Passenger Seat, Adjustable Headrest, Cruise Control, Cab Privacy Curtain, Power Cab Windows, Power Cab Door Locks w/Remote Control, Tilt & Telescoping Steering Wheel, Cab Radio AM/FM/CD Stereo w/MP3 Interface via USB, Subwoofer, 19" LCD 12V TV, Large flip-open skylight with screen and sunshade, Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink, Microwave w/Convection Oven, 3-Burner LP Cook Top, Range Hood w/Fan & Light, Double Door Refrigerator, Medicine Cabinet w/Light, FantasticFan Power Roof Vent in Bathroom, Shower Door, Stainless Steel Lavatory Sink, Skylight Above Shower, 13.5K BTU Ducted A/C, 25K BTU Ducted LP Furnace, Auxiliary Start Circuit, 2 new 6-volt Coach Batteries, Battery Disconnect System, 55 Amp 3-stage Power Converter, Monitor Panel For Systems, Generator Hour Meter Gauge, 30 Amp Power Cord, Cable TV Input, 3.2 kW Cummins/Onan Diesel Generator, Water System Winterization Kit, Driver & Passenger Air Bags, Smoke Detector, LP Gas Detector, Carbon Monoxide Detector, Daytime Running Lights, Fog Lights, Gutters on Awning Rail, Remote Keyless Entry, Electric Step, Rear Roof Ladder, Motion Sensor Porch Light, Power Remote Mirrors w/Defrost, Mud Flaps, Fiberglass Sidewalls, Tinted Windows, Patio Awning, Spare Tire, Curved Roof w/Fiberglass Skin, Textured Fabric Ceiling Material, Foot-operated Toilet, TV Antenna, Contoured Style Cabinetry, Heated Holding System, Whole House Filter, Exterior Wash Station, Rear Backup Camera System w/Audio.